Business Permits and Regulations

Whether you are starting a new business or running an existing one, it's important to find out what Council regulations apply to your business.

Please visit the City of Port Phillip Business Permits & Regulations page or view some common permit requirements below:

Footpath trading

For goods, furniture or advertising boards on footpaths see Footpath Trading.

Mobile food

Selling food at a festival, market or from a mobile food van?

New business

For new or existing cafés, restaurants and renovating a premises see Businesses selling food.

For hairdressing, beauty therapy or tattooing businesses see Personal care premises.

Liquor licencing

See Liquor Licensing for information on:

  • Victorian Commission for Gambling and Regulation (VCGLR)
  • Planning Permits for Licensed Premises
  • Port Phillip Licensee Forum
  • Late Night Liquor Licence Freeze.


For Accommodation businesses see Prescribed accommodation


Want to film around the City of Port Phillip? Filming in Port Phillip


You may require additional permits, other than those from City of Port Phillip to operate your business. Visit the Australian Business and Licensing Information Service to find national, state and local licence and regulatory obligations in one place.


All events, promotions or art installations held in public open space require a permit. This includes footpaths, roads, laneways and reserves. For more information download the factsheet.

Foreshore recreation activities

Outdoor Commercial Recreation Activities are permitted within the City of Port Phillip and advertised through an Expression of Interest process.


Subscribe to receive regular updates of business news and information, business training, networking events, grants & funding opportunities.